Sunday 14 June 2015

Bonvoyage


As I previously mentioned, since arriving in cairns 6 weeks ago I have been employed and unemployed multiple times. One such employment was promoting for The Woolshed, 

"best nightclub in cairns mate." 

Whilst handing out fliers and free entry wristbands for another one of The Woolshed's "unforgettable nights out" I met a somewhat bohemian, none the less loveley Danish girl named Vigga, a true character to say the least. Vigga, being a keen yoga enthusiast and devout Vegan wasn't taken in by the offer of cheap booze and a wet T-shirt competinition on a Wednesday night, but is an individual who always relishes the opportunity to converse with new people, an incredibly positive person who instantly intrigued me.

A short time later and I was in dire straights again, after far too much goon* and what one may call a little too much enthusiasm on a night out, I was relieved of my duties at The Woolshed and quickly saught various other forms of employment throughout cairns. 

*Goon 
The Australian delinquents drink of choice.

 Boxed wine sold in multiple varieties including, but not limited to: fruity lexia, dry white and red.

 Also popular amongst backpackers due to it's low cost, relatively high alcahol content and ability to lower inhibitions.

Caution! may cause Severe bafoonery, unemployment and memory loss.*

After multiple employment disasters that are hardly worth mentioning I began promoting for a well known travel agents for free accomodation. I was even given a second chance promoting for The Woolshed, provided that I, 

"Don't be a fuckin dickhead!"

So despite a few minor hick ups along the way all was ok again within my Australian bubble. I knew at least that I would have a bed to sleep in and a little cash coming my way. It just so happened that Vigga was also employed by the same for mentioned travel agent and had  also been volunteering at the cairns vegetable markets on Saturday mornings where she was invited to work on the farm in Daintree. Vigga left on Thursday morning, telling me that she would ask if there were any more spaces on the farm when she arrived. 

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon and I received confirmation that I could go to the farm and that a lift would be arriving on Monday morning. I spent most of Sunday tying up loose ends and bidding farewell to a few friends before heading back to my hostel to eventually pack. 

Fortunately due to some forward thinking I already shed a few belongings since I arrived in Australia. traveling light massively increases one's mobility. If I could offer advice to anyone thinking of traveling in the future, it would be to travel light. I prefer to be able to carry all of my belongings and still walk without too much physical strain so that when it's time to go I can go. 


Pictured above is my trusty 50ltr North face backpack, traded with a fellow traveler for my Argos Backpack and enough money for a weeks budget accomodation in Croatia whilst traveling Europe in 2011.
A good trade I would say as its been 4 years and it still does the job.

If the previous owner is reading, I promise, one day we will trade back brother, as soon as you get your old ass back on the road.
 
Vigga told me she would arrive at my Hostel at 8am on Monday morning but I knew I was dealing with hippies. I was confident they would be late, so I set my alarm for 07:55 and didn't rush in the shower. 08:25 and they still hadent arrived. I hate to reinforce stereotypes, but if the shoe fits. 

09:00 Vigga and I left my hostel to meet the others, a german girl named Hannah, an Australian girl named Sky and the owner of the farm, Sammy, the self proclaimed wildest hippie in cairns. I was inclined to believe him. He was bare foot, bearded and completely off the wall, but as they say, Chaos to the fly is normal to the spider and I don't believe anyone becomes that eccentric without years of invaluable experience to mould them.

Sadly Sammy was leaving for Italy that morning and would be returning in a few weeks, leaving the remaining four of us to maintain the farm. 

Sky drove Sammy to the airport whilst Vigga, Hannah and I collected a few last supplies from town. At around 12:00 Erin got back from the airport and we finally hit the road. If I'd known how much time I had I'd have had a lie in and maybe squeezed in one last full English breakfast before I headed into the Vegan wilderness. Such is life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment