Saturday 13 June 2015

An offer I can't refuse.


It's funny how life flys by and how much can change in just 1 year. Twelve months ago I was almost penniless, struggling to make a start in London. I stooped well below the poverty line and found myself at home amidst the vagrants and runaways of London's squats, partly due to journalistic curiosity and partly due to necessity. 

I'd never have foreseen then that 1 year on I would be in Australia's tropical north Queensland . Admittedly still almost penniless, but worlds away from hard line anarchists, abandoned police stations and surprise evictions. 

My latest adventure does however share some common ground with my experiences in London. Once again I will soon be cohabiting with individuals determined to live outside of "the system". 

"What crazy cult or commune have you gotten yourself wrapped up in now Pete?

I hear my mothers voice ringing in my subconscious. But it's not as bad as it may sound, it is perhaps an opportunity that was too good to pass up. So tomorrow I will be meeting a friend who will drive us North of cairns to an Organic Vegan farming village hidden amidst the famously beautiful Daintree rainforest. 

"But Pete, no more than a week ago you were binge drinking and gorging on McDonald's every night.

I hear the hypocrisy, but I'm a man of forever broadening horizons, besides after a hectic arrival in Cairns that saw me employed and unemployed 3 or 4 times in as many weeks and a hefty fine from the local constabulary for acts better left unspoken, a detox is definitely on the cards. 

I'll be spending a little over a week in the village before returning to cairns and hitching a ride South to a more financially prosperous farming opportunity and the many natural attractions that Australia's east coast has to offer. 

More to come on the vegan village later in the week, but now I really must stop procrastinating and pack my belongings that are currently strewn across the hostel floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment